It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
Brand new words have been added to the Oxford English Dictionary for 2016 and some of them are as hilarious as you’d hope they’d be.
I’ll point out a few of my favs, and then you can check out a fuller list below.
BUDGIE SMUGGLERS! (Tight swimming trunks)
BUTT CHEEK & BUTT CRACK
GLAMPING (which is like camping but more glamorously, like in a yurt)
More than 1,000 new words were added to the dictionary! Just don’t get your budgie smugglers in a knot if your word didn’t make the cut. The next dictionary update will come out in 3 months.
Here are more of the words that are being added…
- Ankle-slapper (a small wave)
- Bot herder (a hacker who identifies computers vulnerable to takeover, to become ‘bots’)
- butt plug
- CamelCase (WordsWrittenLikeThis – going up and down like a camel’s humps)
- carpet shampoo (no sinister meaning behind this, behave)
- CBA (can’t be arsed)
- cold caller
- comfort blanket
- Dirty martini
- elimination diet
- erectile dysfunction
- evening class
- FFS (for f*ck’s sake)
- FWIW (for what it’s worth)
- Hen do
- ICYMI (in case you missed it)
- IDC (I don’t care)
- kitchen bitch
- K-pop (Korean pop music)
- krump (a form of street dance)
- leetspeak (an informal internet language where letters are often replaced by numbers)
- listicle (an article in the form of a list)
- pwn (a ‘leetspeak’ term for ‘own’, or get the better of)
- Secret shopper
- Size queen (a person who prefers large penises)
- Slotted spoon
- solar farm (an area of land with lots of solar panels set up to generate electricity)
- soy milk
- spousal rape
- spray tan
- stag do
- staring contest
- stress test
- supercouple (a popular, famous ‘perfect’ couple)
- TBH (to be honest)
- tl;dr (too long, didn’t read)
- vampire squid (a deep sea animal)
- wild swimming (swimming in natural water such as rivers or lakes)
- Yazidism (an ancient religion with origins in Iraq and Syria)
Read more HERE.
Which word is your favourite??